Summer Camp in the Adirondacks
At Pok-O-MacCready, we pride ourselves on the diversity of our program, campers, and staff. We are constantly striving to improve our facilities to make sure our campers get the most out of our excellent Sports, Horseback Riding, and Wilderness programs. Pok-O-MacCready is fortunate to have 300 acres on the shores of Long Pond over which to experience all that Camp has to offer.
Our co-ed camp facilities:
Our camp originally began as a boys camp in 1905, called “Camp Pok-O-Moonshine”. In 1967, our current Director, Jack Swan, established our girls camp, “Camp MacCready.” We combined our name to “Pok-O-MacCready Camps”, and, even though we are now a full-fledged co-ed camp, we still hold on to our camp tradition and refer to boys camp and girls camp by their old names. The Pok-O-MacCready summer camp complex is located on a 300-acre waterfront property, with the girls camp and the boys camp being separated by just a 5 minute walk “down the path”. This allows all campers to utilize the variety of facilities Pok-O-MacCready offers.
Read more about our facilities below. Those listed are in addition to our beautiful dining room, Robinson Hall, and over 50 camper cabins.
- 3200 square-foot indoor rockclimbing facility (click here to visit The Crux: Champlain Valley Climbing Center)
- full-sized soccer field with removable goals
- baseball and softball diamond with backstop and dugout
- lacrosse field, which doubles as the soccer and Ultimate Frisbee practice field
- 5 tennis courts and a full backboard for practice
- basketball court with 4 permanent hoops
- street hockey rink with boards and bleachers
- 3 volleyball/badminton courts, two grass and one sand/beach
- 4 tetherball courts
- 50-yard Archery Range with 5 targets, storage shed, and safety nets
Wilderness and Adventure Facilities
The “Hard Rock Bike Shop” is the home base for our mountain biking program — we have 20 mountain bikes and plenty of storage for campers’ personal bikes.
The Crux: Champlain Valley Climbing Center, Our new indoor state-of-the-art rock-climbing center is open to the public during the year from October through May. However, during the Summer Camp season it is open solely and exclusively for the use of Pok-O-MacCready Camps. Nestled in the forest at the edge of the grounds is an outdoor climbing tower with 4 separate, 30-foot, top-roped climbing surfaces, including one made of 100 % natural rock.
Our “Hike House” is fully stocked with gear, equipment, and provisions for our large number of wilderness trips.
- 2 Boating Docks
- Laser (TM) racing sailboats… Laser II (TM) racing sailboats for advanced sailers Canoes… Rowboats… Carolina (TM) kayaks, single and two-person.. Windsurfing boards with sails
- 3 Swimming Areas, each with its own dock, diving apparatus, and raft
- Water Trampoline, “Blob”, and log
- Rope Swing
Horseback Riding Facilities
- 3 Barns
- 15 Horses and Ponies
- 4 horse trailers
- 4 riding rings
- Full jump course