Outdoor Education Jobs at PMOEC
Pok-O-MacCready seeks dynamic instructors to maintain our Center’s high level of excellence and professionalism in teaching and guiding children in all aspects of our outdoor education program. All instructors receive onsite training in our entire curriculum and are therefore expected to teach in all program areas. Work projects, including cleaning and manual labor, for property upkeep, curriculum design, and staff enrichment are an important part of the instructor position.
PMOEC employs a small staff composed of instructors, interns, and a chef. We do not employ receptionists, waitpersons, etc.
Pok-O-MacCready offers employment opportunities for 3-month and 10-month positions for the Outdoor Education program, as well as 2-month positions for the Summer Camp program. Continuous year-round employment is possible for qualified candidates.
Breakdown of an Instructor’s Responsibilities
65% – Teach various classes
20% – Participate in work projects (may include maintenance, cleaning, splitting fire wood)
15% – Assist in the kitchen (may include preparing food and washing dishes)
- Bachelors Degree in Environmental Studies, Environmental Science, Education, Outdoor Recreation or related fields (However, those with college degrees in other fields and high marks should not hesitate to apply).
- Experience teaching young people is a must for all except internship applicants.
- Candidates must be personable, energetic, flexible, hard workers, team players, able to have fun at work, and have a strong desire to share their love of the outdoors.
- Basic first aid and CPR training required. WFR certification, Wilderness First Aid, or a comparable course is highly desired.
- Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, climbing, and wilderness trip leader skills preferred.
- Applicants must be physically fit, able to lead strenuous hikes and work long days in challenging weather conditions.
- All applicants must have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Instructor applicants must be at least 21 years of age (18 or older for interns) and legally able to work in the U.S.
- Job offers are contingent on the results of a nation-wide criminal background check.
- room and board, free laundry, and internet access
- fun environment in which to work, play, and socialize
- staff enrichment days and professional development
- use of facilities and equipment during free time (e.g. rock climbing, canoes, bikes, etc.)
- four and one-half (4.5) days paid vacation (for year-round staff)
- two (2) sick days per season (for all staff)
- eligibility for professional discount purchase programs including (but not limited to):
- Black Diamond
- The North Face
- Liberty Mountain Sports
Interested and qualified applicants should click the links above to download and review the appropriate job description, and return the following items to our office:
Please include the following items when applying:
- Application for Employment
- Cover Letter
Please send these items to:
Director of Outdoor Education